Friday 11 May 2012

Book Club Friday...


I have been a little busy with assignments and classes lately so I'm still working my way through The Age Of Innocence, so I decided to review a play that I absolutely love and have actually performed scenes of!

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde


Synopsis

Oscar Wilde's madcap farce about mistaken identities, secret engagements, and lovers entanglements still delights readers more than a century after its 1895 publication and premiere performance. The rapid-fire wit and eccentric characters of The Importance of Being Earnest have made it a mainstay of the high school curriculum for decades.
Cecily Cardew and Gwendolen Fairfax are both in love with the same mythical suitor. Jack Worthing has wooed Gewndolen as Ernest while Algernon has also posed as Ernest to win the heart of Jack s ward, Cecily. When all four arrive at Jack s country home on the same weekend the "rivals" to fight for Ernest s undivided attention and the "Ernests" to claim their beloveds pandemonium breaks loose. Only a senile nursemaid and an old, discarded hand-bag can save the day!

My Thoughts

I absolutely adore this play! Maybe its the theatre kid in me but I think its just that its so darn fabulous! The writing is witty and enchanting, the characters are hilarious and overly dramatic, and the plot is intricate and twisty in the best possible way! Seriously! If you haven't seen this play... SEE IT or read it! And if you don't usually like theatre, give this one a go because it amazing!

It may have been written in 1895 but its not at all stuffy or hard to follow, trust me! My favourite scene in the whole play is this one here (although the play is better than the movie!) (and some of my favourite parts are just before this). I was lucky enough to play Cecily with my friend as Gwendolen in one of our Theatre assessments! So much fun!

Seriously, Oscar Wilde is a genius. 'Nuf said!

4 comments:

Abbey said...

Added to the list! Thanks, Sinead--never would have found it on my own!

Robyn said...

i love this play! i din't know it was made into a movie-I must hunt it down

Shoshanah said...

I'm a little embarrassed to admin, that I've never read this. There are so many classics I feel like I've missed out on, so someday I'd love to take the time to read them all.

Heather said...

I've never read this! I definitely need to.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...